Australia’s Privacy Act applies to organisations’ collection and handling of personal information in Australia. In some cases, exemptions under these laws may apply, in which case we may rely on those exemptions in our discretion. We rely on the small business exemption in Australia’s Privacy Act where that exemption is applicable to The Career Conversation.
By visiting our website or platform, using our services, engaging with us, applying for a role with us or providing us with any of your personal information, you agree to the terms of this Policy and you acknowledge that in doing so you we may collect personal information from you including as outlined in this Policy, and share and trade that information on an anonymous or aggregated basis.
If you do not want to provide personal information to us you are not required to do so, however this may limit your use of our website and platform and the services you are able to access or use from our website, platform or company.
Collection of personal information
Where you log on to our website or platform via a third-party social media service, such as Facebook or LinkedIn, we may collect personal information from the social media provider, including, your username, email address, and available profile information, such as your public profile URL, profile photo, job title, connections to other persons, current and past industries you have been associated with, and location, as well as other information associated with your social media account. We will ask for your consent prior to your logging in to the platform using your social media account or connecting your social media account to the Platform. By providing such consent, you represent and warrant that you have the authority to provide us with information about your social media connections.
Why we collect personal information
We collect, hold, use and disclose personal information as part of the operation of our business. This includes:
- providing our products and services;
- responding to your requests and performing any transaction you initiate with us;
- maintaining and updating our records;
- verifying information;
- collaborating with service providers who offer products and services complimentary to our products and services;
- communicating information about and promoting and marketing our business, products and services (including to existing, past and prospective users, and for direct marketing in accordance with legal requirements);
- customising and tailoring our products and services to users’ specific interests and preferences;
- managing our relationships with stakeholders including our staff and business contacts representing clients, suppliers and others;
- recruiting, vetting, reference checking, training and managing staff, job applicants and coaches should we wish to do so;
- performing and complying with our legal obligations (e.g. under contracts or in relation to statutory reporting);
- protecting our lawful interests; and
- facilitating acquisitions or divestments of businesses.
We may not be able to do these things without your personal information. For example, we may not be able to communicate with you, provide services to you, customise your experience of using our website or platform, or consider your application for employment, without receiving and using your personal information in the ways described.
How we disclose personal information
We may exchange your personal information with:
- our business partners and affiliates (for example our services may give you the opportunity to trial the services of our business partners, at your option);
- our service providers, including service providers that assist us with archival, data storage, data processing, auditing, accounting, contact centre, legal, business consulting, banking, payment transactions, debt collection, delivery, data processing, data analysis, document management, information broking, research, investigation, insurance, website, technology, recruitment, vetting, payroll, superannuation, staff benefits, surveillance and training services;
- your current and previous employers; and
- a law enforcement body to the extent that information is requested from us by that body.
Where you follow a link from our website, social media page or platform to the website, social media page or platform of one of our business partners or affiliates and provide personal information to that third party, we will not be responsible for or in connection with that third party’s storage, handling or use of your personal information.
For job applicants including applicants who commence an employment relationship with us, and coaches, we may also exchange your personal information with academic institutions, health service providers, professional and trade associations, referees and previous employers or clients.
For coaches, we will also share your personal information where relevant to clients or prospective clients of coaching services.
We also may compile, share or trade information about or relating to users of our products or services, or visitors to our website or platform, on an anonymous or aggregated basis, for example by communicating historic or current trends or preferences of users of our products, services or visitors to our website or platform.
Security and storage of personal information
We may retain your personal information for such period as is reasonably necessary having regard to the purposes for which we are permitted to handle that personal information. We may retain de-personalised statistical information for longer periods where no individuals are reasonably identifiable from that data.
We implement a range of measures to protect the security of personal information. Depending on the circumstances, these may include firewalls, encryption, passwords or locked areas. As no security software is completely secure we can not guarantee the absolute security of your personal information.
We hold personal information electronically and in hard copy form, both at our own premises and with the assistance of our service providers.
top level domain (e.g. .com, .com.au, etc), date and time of your visit to the website, pages accessed, information downloaded, previous site visited, browser type and sites visited using links on our website. This information is used for statistical, data compiling, reporting, content refinement and website administration and maintenance purposes.
Like many other websites, our websites may use ‘cookies’ from time to time. A cookie is a piece of information that allows our system to identify and interact more effectively with your browser. The cookie helps us to maintain the continuity of your browsing session and remember your details and preferences when you return. You can configure your web browser software to reject cookies however some parts of our Websites may not have full functionality in that case.
In Australia, subject to certain exceptions in Australia’s Privacy Act, you have the rights to seek access to the personal information we hold about you and correct any mistakes in personal information we hold about you. In certain circumstances provided in Australia’s Privacy Act, we may have the right to refuse your request for access to your personal information that we hold.
You can exercise these rights where applicable by contacting us via the methods detailed below. We may need to verify your identity. We will provide our reasons if we deny your request.
If you no longer wish to receive alerts or emails from us then you may unsubscribe from our service by selecting the ‘unsubscribe’ option at the bottom of our messages.
Complaints or contacting us
You can contact us if you wish to make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information. Please provide as many details as you can. We may need to engage or consult with other parties in order to investigate and deal with your complaint. We will keep records of your complaint and any resolution.
You can contact us via one of the means below:
Post [ 17/31 Queen Street, Melbourne VIC 3000 ]
Email [ firstname.lastname@example.org ]
Web form [ www.thecareerconversation.com.au/contact-us ]